Thursday, June 4, 2009

My First Cake

I was at the grocery store the other day, when I saw a hamburger cake in the bakery aisle. It was super cute, and I immediately thought of my mom, who regularly sends baked goods to the Emergency Departement where my step-dad works as an awesome physician. Anyway, we both decided to try our hand at making a cake. After some research online, we found lots of inspiration. Here is my attempt (and directions)...I think it turned out perfect!

The Cake


I used 3 cake mixes to make all of this. 2 boxes of yellow cake for the buns, and 1 box of chocolate cake to make the burger. I had left over cake batter, so I made some cupcakes. I used my icecream cake pan to make the buns. The top is a dome shape and the bottom is a flatter, round shape. I didn't have any round pans, so I used a square pan for my chocolate cake.


(The bottom bun.)


(I used a small bowl to trace my hamburger and make sure it would fit on my bun.)




(My "burger" without all the fixings.)

(White icing for the mayo, red and yellow for the ketchup and mustard, and green for the lettuce.)





The Fries



(To make the fries, I took my 11X13 yellow cake and cut it into strips.)



(Then I laid each strip on it's side and cut the crust off of each end.)


(Then I cut the strip in half to get a skinny fry.)


(You lay the cake strips on a pan and broil them for a couple of minutes on each side. They'll burn pretty quickly, so you have to keep an eye on them.)
The Result!!!








No comments: