Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What's in a name??

Derek and I agonized over picking just the right name for our baby. I mean, it's a lot of responsibility! A name is the first thing that someone learns about you. It will be the first thing all of her teachers know her as, what will go on college applications and resumes, it will be repeated before everyone on her wedding day, the list goes on. Okay, so maybe I am sweating it a little too much, but we certainly took the job of naming our firstborn very seriously. (Just ask anyone about our pets! They have first and middle names, and I spend hours picking just the right one for each and every foster dog...)

So, after all of this hard work, I thought it would be nice to share the reasoning behind Faith's name.

Faith ~ I read that Fay (my middle name and my mom's middle name) is derived from the name Faith. I'm not a huge fan of Fay, but I wanted to carry on the tradition of using it. Plus, Faith is such a beautiful name. It's strong, but feminine at the same time. No one will misspell it (Believe me, I know all about that!), and Derek LOVED it.

Nevaeh ~ When I was going through baby names, I came across this one. Derek and I both liked it, and J. really liked it as well. It was originally going to be Faith's first name, but the more we thought about it, the less sure we were about it as a first name. It's beautiful and unique, so we went with it as a middle name. (And yes, it is heaven spelled backwards).

Patience ~ This is the name J. picked out. We love that it is a part of Faith's name. J. wanted a name that was not overly used, and she loves this name.

Okay, so there you go. It's probably more than you ever wanted or needed to know about her name, but now you know :-)

No comments: