Sunday, January 3, 2010

The New Playroom

We spent most of this long weekend repurposing two rooms in our house. We had been using the third upstairs bedroom as a home office, but it is now a new playroom. We moved the office downstairs, to the unused family room. Both rooms turned out great. I am so excited to show Faith her room tomorrow. It is going to be wonderful to not have all of her toys in the living room where naughty foster puppies chew on them and clumsy mommies trip and fall on them.

Since the playroom will be turning into Faith's big girl bedroom this summer, complete with a whole new design and furniture, I spent as little on the playroom as I could. Which turned out to be a whopping $20 for a new rug. Everything else in the room, I already had on hand. I took inspiration from a DIY mom's blog, who had used scrapbook paper to "wallpaper" an accent wall in her kids' playroom. I was going to do the same, but Derek suggested I do polk-a-dots instead, and I am SO glad he did. They turned out super cute, fun, and whimsical.


Before and After Photos:


I found some nice, colored photographs of animals that were left over from my preschool days. I put them on the closet door at Faith's height. She loves animals, and I think she will get a kick out of looking at them. In the corner is her old frog chair. Faith and the dogs love that chair, but unfortunately it's not washable. I plan on replacing it with a washable rocking chair, but that will have to wait for now.



I used the solid color scrapbooking paper that coordinated with the patterned paper to create a playful window treatment.







I placed Faith's new blue rug in the center of the room and put her beloved slide on top of it. The slide was a gift from our neighbors. I put three toy bins against the right wall. In the back is a two drawer storage unit that I found while rummaging in the junk room. I repurposed it, and it now holds all the dollhouse toys for the giant Playschool dollhouse that my mom got Faith this summer at a rummage sale for like $15. It's just out of sight (next to the pink convertible in the picture above this one) and it came with two huge bags of furniture and accessories (like a deck, above ground pool, and grill that makes cooking noises).



This is what the playroom looks like from the doorway. I hung an AquaDoodle the Faith's Nana got her for Christmas under the window. It's a great place to create artwork, and if she scribbles on the wall, it's just water. Well, that's the tour. Hope you liked it

No comments: